The gutter’s main responsibility is to be part of a team responsible for the animal’s safe, clean, and humane harvest while ensuring appropriate processes and prepping are performed. This position is required to use knives, saws, and other tools to skin, and make large cuts, whole, half , and quarter animals.
Duties and Responsibilities*
- Opens the body cavity of carcass and removes internal organs from inside abdominal cavity and cuts membranes holding intestines.
- Places internal organs such as liver, heart, lungs, kidneys, and spleen into pluck pans and separates properly for USDA presentation.
- Cuts bruises, blemishes, and ragged tissue from carcass while avoiding cutting into the paunch to prevent contamination from occurring.
- Minimum 2 years previous gutter experience in beef industry
- Excellent understanding of gutting meat methods
- Knowledge of health and safety rules in a slaughterhouse
- Manual dexterity able to operate cutting tools and kitchen utensils
- Must be able to deal with quality control, production control, and meat storage
- Must be able to perform in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to withstand hot temperatures and work in a wet, humid environment
- Standing for long periods of time performing repetitive, physical work
- Gripping, grasping, lifting, or pushing up to 50 pounds
Ft. McCoy Meat Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: FMMP is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at FMMP are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. FMMP will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.